Thursday, May 19, 2011

Summer Study/ABCs of God

I thought long and hard about how to keep up my daily Bible study and time with Jesus this summer. Somedays, its really challenging to block out my time for Him. I always pray that God would protect and guard that precious quiet time with him, but as my BSF teaching leader said to us two years ago, "We do what we want to do." Which means that I can pray for protected quiet time all I want but if I am not actively desiring and wanting God, then odds are...I won't be doing my Bible study.

A few weeks before BSF ended I started wondering how I could study the Bible this summer with my children. I have always wanted to learn the attributes of God and my mother in law mentioned a study sheet she once worked through with the attributes of God listed through the ABCs.

Bingo.

I did some research and found a few resources that looked promising. Most, like the ABCS of God by Children Desiring God, target 1st through 3rd grade. A few others had short memory verses to help drive each letter.

I compiled a scope and sequence from Children Desiring God that I found online with a worksheet of verses and then added a few references I wanted to cover.

By the way, if you would like to order the ABCs of God from Children Desiring God, I have heard excellent things about the lessons (there are 40 in total) and you can order them here. This curriculum does not go through the attributes in alphabetical order and also includes some topical lessons like, knowing God and trusting God. If your children are of age and you have the money to purchase it...GO FOR IT!!

Since my children are younger I will work a bit to modify the list and make it a bit more age appropriate. Meaning that I will work from certain aspects of the corresponding scriptures and if I have worthy materials, I will substitute them for the passage. For example, rather than read 10 chapters about the life of Joseph from the book of Genesis, will use the shorthand story from The Jesus Storybook Bible. If you are interested in doing this compiled study, I have added it below! (Note: Some letters have more than one attribute!)

My basic plan is to run through a few letters each week for the rest of the summer. I purchased a large poster board that we are hanging in the dining room. We'll be writing out the letters and adding pictures or nature finds or what God has shown/taught us. I'll also utilize my felt board and felt pieces for any of the corresponding Bible stories in the compiled list. (I'll be posting pictures of our progress!)

The Bear memorized the pledge of allegiance without my knowing it this past year. He proved to be capable of memorizing and so we will work on memorizing select scriptures from this list together. I know he can do it! :) Added bonus: I'll be learning and memorizing right alongside him.

I plan on working this study with them daily during our daytime meals. Meaning that we will read the story and concept at breakfast, then have applications during playtime where I'll try to work in what we learned over breakfast into our outdoor romps and indoor quiet times. Over lunch we'll talk about what they learned and what they think about the study so far.

The point is not to drill them or overwhelm them with passages. But rather to provide daily exposure to scripture, discuss and nurture their growing knowledge of God, and to demonstrate a faithful walk and loving relationship with Jesus.

The final component is perhaps the most difficult to keep up. I'll be praying each night for the next day's lesson. I've seen Jesus instruct my children in miraculous ways and I BELIEVE that he can not be limited. I'll be asking him for wisdom as I teach my children about Him and for his grace in the greater learning I am trying to establish in my home.

Are you planning anything with your kids this summer? If you are, please share! I would love to learn from you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTIVE

Psalm 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are

attentive to their cry.


God is constantly watching and acting in the world.


ALMIGHTY

Jeremiah32:18b-19a O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD

Almighty, great are Your purposes and mighty are Your deeds.


God is All-Poweful

(Exodus 7-11 or Jesus Storybook Bible/ The Ten Plagues)


BOUNTIFUL

Ephesians 3:20-21a Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly

beyond all that we ask of think... to Him be glory.


Jesus is more than enough to satisfy all our desires!


(Jesus feeds the 4000 Mark 8)

(The Woman at the Well John 4)

C CREATOR

Isaiah 44:24b I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out

the heavens, who spread out the earth by Myself.


God has made all things

(Genesis 1)


DELIVERER

1 Timothy 1:15a It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.


God saves his people from his wrath. (Sodom and Gomorrah Genesis 19)


ETERNAL

Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were born or You brought forth the earth and

the world, from everlasting to everlasting You are God.


God has no beginning or end. (John 1)


FAITHFUL

Joshua 23:14 You know with all your heart and sould that not one of all the good

promises the LORD your God gave you has failed. Every promise has been

fulfilled.


God always does what he says he will do. (Matthew 1/The Birth of Jesus)


GOOD

Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made.

Mark 10:18b No one is good except God alone.


Everything God is and does is good.


GLORIOUS

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of

His hands.

Romans 1:20a For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities – His

eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen


God shows his greatness and worth.

(Moses and the Glory of God Exodus 33)


HOLY –

Isaiah 40:25 “To whom will you compare Me? Or who is My equal?” says the

Holy One.


God is like no one else--he is completely holy and separate from sin. (Isaiah 6- Isaiah sees the Presence of God)


INCOMPREHENSIBLE

Romans 11:34 Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been His

counselor


God is more than we can fully understand. (Highlights from Job 38-41)


JEALOUS

Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD, that is My name! I will not give My glory to another

or My praise to idols.


God will not share his greatness and worth. (The Ark of the Covenant and Dagon 1 Samuel 5)


KING

Psalm 47:7a-8 For God is the King of all the earth – God reigns over the nations.

God is seated on His Holy throne.


God rules over everyone. (Israel asks God for a king 1 Samuel 8)


LOVE

Psalm 37:25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire

besides You.


Love is the overflow of joy that God has in himself. (Jesus and Zacchaeus Luke 19)


MERCIFUL

Psalm 145:8 The LORD is merciful, slow to anger and great in lovingkindness.

Psalm 103:10a He does not treat us as our sins deserve.


God is kind to undeserving sinners (The Prodigal Son Luke 15)


NEVER-TIRING

Isaiah 40:28b The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the

earth. He will not grow tired or weary.


God never gets tired or weary (Highlights from the life of Jeremiah/Jeremiah 8-31)


OMINICIENT /OMNIPRESENT

Hebrews 4:13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is

uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.


Jeremiah 23:24 “Can anyone hid in secret places so that I cannot see him?”

declares the LORD. “ Do I not fill heaven and earth?”


God is everywhere all the time and knows everything. (The Passover Exodus 11-12)

(Ananias and Sapphira Acts 5)


PROVIDER

Acts 17:25b He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.


God meets the needs of his creation. (Exodus 16 Manna from Heaven)


PATIENT

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand

slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to

come to repentance.


God is slow to anger and slow to punish (The Flood Genesis 6-7)


QUESTIONS HAVE ANSWERS

Isaiah 46:9b I am God and there is no other I am God and there is none like Me.


God gave us the Bible to help answer questions like: Who is God? How should I act towards him?


RIGHTEOUS

Deuteronomy 32:4 His work is perfect, for all His ways are just... Righteous and

upright is He.


Everything God thinks, says and does is right. (The Temptation of Jesus Matthew 4)


REFUGE

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous run to it

and are safe.


God is a place of safety and shelter for his people. (Psalm 46, 2Samuel 22)


SOVEREIGN

Isaiah 46:10b My purpose will stand and I will do all that I please. Isaiah 46:11b

What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do.


God has the right, the power, and the wisdom to do all that he pleases. (Crossing the Red Sea Exodus 13-14)


SELF-SUFFICIENT

Acts 17:25 And He is not served by human hands as if He needed anything,

because He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.


God doesn't need anything (God defeats the armies of Moab and Ammon 2 Chronicles 20)


TRINITY/TRIUNE

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.


God is three persons in one. Father, Son and Holy Spirit.


UNCHANGING

Malachi 3:6a I, the LORD, do not change.


God never changes. (Israel's kings after David/ Highlights 1Kings 10-22)


VICTORIOUS

Zephaniah 3:17a The LORD your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior.


God always wins ---even over Satan, sin and death. (The Resurrection Matthew 27-28)


WORTHY

Revelation 4:11 You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor

and power, for You created all things, and by Your will they were created and have

their being.


God deserves all love, honor, praise obedience and glory (The Pearl of Great Price Matthew 13)


WRATHFUL

Romans 1:18a The wrath of God is being reveald from heaven against all the

godlessness and wickedness of men. Nahum 1:6b Who can endure His fierce

anger? His wrath is poured out like fire; the rocks are shattered before Him.


God is very angry at sin (Jesus in the Temple/ John 2)


WISE

Psalm 104:24a How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom You made them

all.


God causes everything to work out perfectly (The life of Joseph/ Genesis 37, 39-45)


EXALTED

Psalm 97:9 For You, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth; You are

exalted far above all gods


God ranks far above everything else--He is most high! (The Tower of Babel/Genesis 1)


YHWH (LORD)

Isaiah 42:8a I am the LORD; that is my name. Psalm 9:10a Those who know

Your name will trust in You.


God desire to make his name known (The Burning Bush/ Exodus 3)


ZEALOUS

Isaiah 42:13 The LORD will march out like a mighty man, like a warrior He will

stir up His zeal... and triumph over His enemies.


God does everything with strength and determination for his name's sake! (The Triumphal Entry/Matthew 21)


2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this! Thanks for posting this for us. I look forward to doing this with my kids this summer--school's almost out!!!
~K

Krystal Zollinger said...

So excited to start teaching these! Thanks for sharing.