Friday, May 27, 2011

DIY Summer


Ahhh summer!!!

Not too big a change for us since its always hot, J is always in school and the boys are never in school. And yet, I feel the need to have at least one great summer-worthy activity each day for my kiddos AND lest I get lazy, an endless stream of sewing/building projects. I've all ready completed six projects (YES!) and I'll be posting those later.

This post is dedicated to the items on my to-do list.

First and foremost, the kids playroom/our living room needed a revamp. This room will be the main hutch for our homeschool activities and it needed a fresh breath of creativity and life. I painted our coffee table and the half wall under the counter top with chalk board paint. Hello instant blackboard and writing table for my boys to practice their writing!


Speaking of writing, the boys are really getting the hang of their letters. I managed to find a great wall set of letters on etsy for the boys. It arrives in a few weeks! I love that the letter O is a giant button.


This next week I'll be sewing new slip covers for our pillows and my rocking chair. Necessary because after three years of toddlers the fabrics were looking a bit hairy.

I found several variations of these fun madras/patchwork prints at JoAnn Fabrics at half off!


Hooray!!! I'll be spray painting a few baskets in cheerful colors and adding new shelving, alphabet charts, maps and a few other homeschool knick knacks. My goal was to get the whole room done on a budget and I met the goal. (


Next we move on to the boy's room. They have a very narrow walk in closet that I have affectionately titled the junk room. I have had three babies in three years, folks, so there are many many boxes of supplies, clothing, shoes, and unused items under the category: "Why Did We Register For This?" stacked high. The majority will go to Good Will or sent on to friends who could make use of our items. I want an EMPTY closet. Why, do I want an empty closet?

So I can make a reading nook.

I've been debating for a few weeks now on wether or not to go for it. The Bear LOVES...no...CRAVES quiet time and small spaces. This is a perfect little shelter to escape the hustle and bustle and curl up with a book. I won't be doing everything in the above picture. This is just an IDEA of what is to come. I'll probably be wall papering the inside in a fun print (stripes to match the Dr Seuss theme?) and then going from there.

There is more!!

First of all, my grandmother has generously decided to gift me my great grandmother's sewing machine. This has me elated for many reasons. Among them, I loved Meme and miss her. Having something of hers that she used to often is really special to me. Secondly, the machine is an antique. Lastly, I am not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the way I started sewing quite a lot! The following projects are my big summer sewing projects. This machine will be put to good use!


Felt globe for homeschool room. Love the little suitcase and the moveable features of the various countries.

Tablecloth fort. Thank you, to whoever had this idea. The bungalow is small and cozy with no room for a play house. This is a GREAT option for us. Plus, I really was not a fan of the kids getting stains on my bedsheets every time they went "camping" under our table.




Puppet theater. Genius. Found some great ticking gingham fabric at JoAnn's (another steal!)



Lastly, the all important dinosaur tail belts. These are well under way!

I can't wait to have these all finished and see my boys romping around with this stuff. I love creating things that stimulate their imaginations. These little guys are each so special in their own way. I'm really looking forward to this DIY Summer of 11'.

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

SUCH GREAT IDEAS!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for some awesome suggestions!!!!

I loved the idea of freezing toys in the ice block. Please, please share more or point me in the direction that you've been getting these fabulous ideas!

yourstruly said...

Can you teach me how to sew? I want to do these things, too. The dinosaur tail belts? Oh, how I love them!

mora68 said...

I love Meme's sewing machine...not because I sew, because I don't...but I was amazed at what she could do with it...I can still see her sitting before it sewing away with ease...it has aged like a fine wine...and I am pretty sure it is in good hands :o)Take a picture and post it...people need to see what it looks like...plus I want to see a happy memory of Meme :o)