Saturday, October 2, 2010

Still growing


"Hey Mom, look at this! Its a triceratops with the body of a tuba so its a Tubaceratops"

"Come with me, take my hand, and I will rescue you."

"The word of our God stands FOREVER!!! Isaiah 40:8"

"God made me. He is amazing. God made you. He is amazing. God made the rain. Rain is so much fun!"

"Mom, what are these called? Hash browns? Oh yummy. I love hash browns. They are new favorite."

"When can we go to Ms. Debbie's house again? I want to play with cars and Jesus"

These are all phrases popping out of the Bear's mouth this past week. I had foolishly imagined that he would regress into despair and nothingness as a result of my being on bed rest. But no, he flourishes instead, running into my room every hour or so to chat with me. He asks me every day if we can "go to Ms. Debbie's house." This is his way of asking for Bible Study Fellowship. He loves the children's programs and thinks his teacher lives in their classroom... thus, "Ms. Debbie's house." Ms. Debbie is always laughing and smiling when I come to pick him up at the end of BSF. She tells me that even though he is by far, the youngest in his class, he is the group organizer and social director of the bunch. He talks more than any of the other boys and asks nonstop questions throughout the morning that have her in stitches. Questions like: "Hey, Ms Debbie, what's the problem? Are you ok? What are you doing? Can I play with you Ms. Debbie? Ms. Debbie, follow me and I will rescue you! This place is amazing! I just can't believe it!"
He has learned his Bible verses each week and is eager to talk about all the things God made and all the great things God does. I am amazed to realize that my son and his soul are relating to God and that he is already developing a relationship with him.

This morning, I sat down to breakfast with the boys and began my daily Bible study. The Bear peered over his bowl of cereal and said, "oh wow, Mom. Is that your Bible?" We talked about it for a few minutes. Just an hour later he came into his room (don't worry, I was "bed resting" on one of the boy's beds), pulled out his Bible and said, "time for Bible study!" Incredible to see him imitate so much of what the adults in his life do. (Note: He has also picked up on a few things that are not so cute and have absolutely nothing to do with the Bible and everything to do with me being impatient and angry while driving through traffic).


Cubby has also flourished these past two weeks. Most of his growing has been in his cheeks and abdominal area, the boy is literally eating us out of house and home. We know another large growth spurt is coming since his pattern is usually to grow plumper and then shoot up and thin out a few weeks later. He'll be catching up to the Bear pretty soon!

I knew Cubs would develop a larger vocabulary faster than the Bear did by virtue of being the second born with the advantage of a companion. But I did not anticipate the variety of this vocabulary. He has started picking up words the Bear is only now starting to use, words like triceratops, excavator, apple core, cement mixer." Its hard to understand what he says, but its still there.

What has touched me most about Cubs in the past weeks is his ability to notice people other than himself in a deeply sensitive, caring way. This is unusual for his age, rather than be completely self absorbed, Cubs has keenly felt my frustration, boredom and occasional sadness. He worries about me. He comes to visit me in the room and touches my arms, plays with my hair, tries to comfort me. Cubs finds great joy in simply sitting by my side for a few quiet moments. I treasure this aspect of him which is so inherently natural to him. I never taught him how to feel for others, its something he gets from his daddy.

Cubs continues to bond with the Babe every day. He rests his head on my abdomen and chats away. He pets the baby belly and says "I love you," occasionally he is rewarded with a response kick. I have a feeling that Cubs and the Babe will share a very special bond. They are already friends and have yet to meet.

Now an update on the baby. He is just as restless as I am! He wants me up out of bed, walking around and soothing him with that rocking sensation. But he has been naughty and will not be rewarded for it! So I've patiently sat through the days, feeling his persistent kicks and karate chops, clear evidence that he takes after his mommy in many ways and smiling at the thought of holding him in a few weeks. (Did you hear that kiddo? Mama said WEEKS and not DAYS).

So for everyone who has called us, prepared meals, visited our home, watched our children or sent emails and texts, thank you for your words of encouragement and support. Your prayers have meant so very much to us. We are here... still growing in words, waistlines and love.

No comments: