Monday, October 11, 2010

Dragons and Jane Austen

Yesterday, in the late afternoon, I settled back into bed with all of my pillows and sewing patterns for Cubby's costume. I took out my recently arrived Netflix envelope and prepared to watch the latest adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. Really, its medicine for my soul.


I hit play and settled back, needle poised to begin the first set of stitching on a certain adorable puppy costume for a little boy with beautiful blue eyes, when I heard my bedroom door open and the distinct shuffle of fat baby toes on hardwood floor. That same charming little boy with big beautiful blue eyes waddled in with a heart melting, "Hi Mama!" and proceeded to crawl up into bed with me. I kissed his toes, cheeks, belly, ears, and he giggled and kissed me back. He is 20 months old now and the conversations are starting to get longer and cuter. When he shuffles into my room, clad only in a diaper and covered in some kind of cookie residue... oh! I really could eat him up.

Then the almost three year old announced his arrival with a shout of "MOM YOU ARE BACK!" He crawled into bed and settled next to his brother, his eyes glued to the laptop on my bed and the small scissors on top of the fabric. Hmmm, which to grab first?

"Mom, can we watch the dragon monster trucks?"

Ahem. My apologies, Willoughby. Excuse me, Mrs. Dashwood. Pardon me, Captain Margaret.

My boys like to watch monster trucks, construction vehicles and nascar races on youtube with J. Especially late in the evening and particularly if one of them is sick, teething, or has just vomited. Its a comfort thing I guess, the way Jane Austen is for me. I had yet to witness the phenomenon that apparently is "Dragon Monster Truck," but how could I say "no" to those little faces? Besides, J had been with them all day and was clearly exhausted and in need of a break, no matter how brief. He gave me instructions on where to find this current trend of awesome which has managed to score a 10 on the Toddler Richter Scale while I've been on bed rest.

So I went from a potential half hour with Elanor and Marianne, struggling with matters of economy and the heart to this....


You will note after following this link that youtube also has several other variations posted on the sidebar. We watched those as well. The boys let out several "Ooohs" and "Ahhs" as this weird giant dinosaur thing mauled cars, shot lighter fluid out of its nostrils and occasionally torched a mangled car. Similar to the "Ooohs" and "Ahhs" of their Mommy when she watches Colin Firth emerge from a cold lake on an English country estate, handsomely costumed as the one and only Fitzwilliam Darcy and nearly identical to the riveted attention she gives Ciaran Hinds when he utters those pained whispers as Colonel Wentworth, "you pierce my soul! I am half agony, half hope!" They were that into it. I am out to sea when it comes to this particular area of fascination for the boys. Trains, I get. Construction vehicles, ok...they make cool things. I can feign enough interest to get by. But enormous cars built to look like mythological creatures whose sole purpose in life is to maul, eat and destroy other vehicles in the most violent way possible? Hmm, not so much.

But I did love watching them as they watched. They don't move when this dragon thing is on the screen. I can trace their eyelashes with my finger, place little kisses all other their cheeks. Stare at them for 15 minutes straight, imagining where their jawlines will be one day and imprinting all of their chins in my memory. What utter deliciousness!

Its naptime now at the bungalow and I finally have a chance to watch this new adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. All will be well in my little Jane Austen world. Everyone will read the right lines, custom and manners will be oozing off the screen and more importantly, Elanor will not shoot lighter fluid out of her nostrils at Edward for engaging himself to Lucy Steele.

But make no mistake, the minute my angels wake up I will gladly turn off the film for another round of Dragon Monster Truck.

No comments: