Saturday, August 1, 2009

Kicks Ok

Huge lightning storms pass over the bungalow almost every day. Sometimes the flash of light and the cracking rumble of thunder is simultaneous, and our little home quakes with each strike. That ear-splitting, heart pounding bolt is so loud at times that even I get a bit squirmy. I've taught the Bear to "oh" and "ah" every time a thunderstorm comes. Even when the big ones are cracking away outside, the Bear stays put, crayon in hand, focused on his Winnie the Pooh coloring book and only looks up for a moment to say, "wooow." 
I wish Cubby could be as relaxed. As soon as the storms start up, his bottom lip pops out. After two or three bolts he is in a full-fledged wail.  Poor little guy...

The day before Godzilla attacked our backyard, I was in the boys room folding clothes. Cubby was in his crib and the Bear was playing on the floor with his trucks. 5 minutes into laundry duty, I heard the first peal of thunder coming off the ocean in our direction. I glanced over at the crib and sure enough, the lip pout was in place.  By the second flash of lightning his chin began to quiver. I started to put down the bed sheets I was folding to rush over and comfort him, when someone beat me to it. A very small someone. 
The Bear toddled over, stuck his hand through the crib slats and touched Cubby's face very carefully. "Kicks ok," he said.  He said it a few times, patting his face all the while, just like I do when I pick him up and say, "oh baby, it's ok, Mommy is here."

 Cubby stopped crying right away, sniffed a few times and lay still as he stared at his big brother. They watched each other for a few more moments before the Bear rushed off to play with his trucks again. Amazingly, every time the thunder struck he would remember to stand up, rush over and say, "kicks ok."

Today I am baking and cleaning. I am playing with my baby boys and laughing a lot with my handsome hubby. I am working on my book and organizing my desk. I am making three meals and nursing a baby. I am watching my little toddler begin to show evidence of his character as a kind and compassionate person, as a loving and protective big brother. 

No comments: