Sunday, August 2, 2009

Carrot. Bread. Fern.


Last night Cubby had his first meal, carrots and breast milk puree, while he sat on top of the dining room table in his bumbo. J built our dining room table as a wedding gift for us. When I say built, I don't mean assembled something he purchased at IKEA. I mean that he purposefully picked out specific pieces of lumber, cut them, sanded each one, and fitted every single section and built a beautiful piece of furniture out of love. I love that are children are literally growing up around a table that he lovingly built with his own hands. Since I breast fed both boys, we decided that J would give them their first taste of solid food. Last night he fed Cubby and we took great pictures of those first reactions. I went to bed feeling tremendously blessed. We have our health and we have each other. We are building memories in our little bungalow that we will carry with us forever. It is such a sweet and simple time in life. 



Yesterday I started baking a sour dough loaf for our neighbor as a thank you gift. He is a a cute viejito, I love his straw hat and his brown wrinkly face. He is always working outside on some project. And it seems that when all his own projects are done he comes over to see if we have any projects that he can work on. He helped J wire some electrical units outside and promised to help with a few other projects we have coming up soon.  The time and energy it takes to bake this type of loaf is rather consuming. But its the most heartfelt, home made thank you I can create. The Bear helped me mix the dough and knead a few times. I love watching him imitate the action he sees me do so often. He punches and rolls and pats. When he's done he looks up at me with his big blue eyes and smiles. 

I wanted to have something of our normal routine before our lives potentially changed forever. That potential change is currently sitting in her cage by the kitchen. 

We've always wanted a big dog. We have also decided to start rescuing pets instead of buying them...well, that is to say, I told J I wanted to rescue pets and he looked at me like I was crazy. 

Our friends found a sweet labrador pup roaming the streets that needed a good home. She is a beautiful, sweet, clumsy, ball of golden kisses and curious sniffles.  I named her Fern, after my favorite animal rescuer of all time, Fern Arable, from Charlotte's Web. I love the name Fern. She is spunky and cute enough to pull if off.  We really don't need another dog right now. But she needs a home and we have been blessed with one. 

Welcome home, Fern. 

1 comment:

mora68 said...

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for welcoming Fern into your home. I hope that she will meld nicely into your family.

You totally rock!