Saturday, May 1, 2010

Welcome May


No maypole in sight down here, but it was still a lovely May Day. Cubby has become quite adept in the art of furniture scaling. He celebrated May Day by leaping off of furniture and eating his body weight in biscuits. Fortunately, he has only encountered a few falls. At the moment he is eating his dessert and looking quite the little rascal, covered in chocolate and sporting a rather hideous purple bruise on his left cheek, a small trophy courtesy of his brother's bed frame. Cubby has a lot of gumption and spunk. He is a firecracker of personality. During the next ten or twelve years I am expecting quite a lot of zingers and witty one-liners from this one.

The Bear's May Day was spent in supreme concentration over his collection of fifteen trains cars. He is incredibly specific about their order, jobs and purposes. Silly Mommy can't tell the difference between a steam engine and a diesel, not too mention boilers, pistons, etc. The Bear sweetly condescends to my ignorant level so that we can play together. I love hearing his soft voice throughout the day, "Hi diesel," "Bye trains, see you later," and my favorite, "I love you Mama." I've been singing a lot of old songs to the Bear these past few weeks. Most are from the 30s and 40s, some are old English or Scottish tunes, obscure and random but I really enjoy them. He does too! He loves the "Bumblebee song" and "The Banks of Lock Lomond." We'll sing an old English tune tonight and I'll show him a few pictures of children dancing around a maypole in the English countryside. I can already picture his blue eyes scanning the details with great curiosity.

I'm relieved that May is here. I'm thankful for the distance and hopeful that summer will only bring healing and peace for me and my family.

Happy May Day!



No comments: