Saturday, April 24, 2010

Over the Garden Gate

Daisies love the rain. I planted two large Blue-eyed Daisy bushes a few months ago and they are beginning to take over their corner of the garden. All the spring rain lavished on them these past few weeks has them rejoicing with blue-tipped blooms.

I haven't had much time these past weeks to tend the garden. Weeds have crept in, black spot painting the rose bush leaves, salvia is raging out of control in the North bed. I usually stay on top of those things, but like I said...its been a tough few weeks. I love the way gardens can be tended but not controlled. I can't force my roses to bloom. I can't force the delphiniums to sprout yellow blossoms instead of purple. I can tend, love, and water them all, but I can never control them to that extent. I always tell J that roses are like children. They require so much care and attention, and when you love them the right way the beauty blossoming before you takes your breath away.

Today I went back to the garden. Like an old friend walking quietly up from behind and slipping a familiar hand into mine, I walked into the garden and began tending. It felt comfortable, even in the blazing noon sun. All the bulbs I meticulously planted months ago are now up and greeting the rest of the garden. I've timed them like a firework display, they'll be blooming at different intervals and I am hoping that my first bulb experience will be a show stopper.

I've had several victories over the past week in terms of my PTSD, actually working in my garden was another large milestone. I feel more at ease in a garden. They are bright reminders of what hard work and patience can bring. I've been working hard these past two months to become whole again for myself and my family. I don't always see the fruits of that labor because even greater hurdles have inevitably sprung up before me. But today I saw physical reminders, beautiful peaches, yellows, lavenders, blues and impossible purples of simple life conquering fear.

The next phase of the garden begins in a few weeks. I hope I am ready to embrace all the plans I've made for it. Starting with some good ol' Kiss me Over the Garden Gate, which was first grown in the United States by Thomas Jefferson, I love its long stems and deliciously pink petals. Its a very flirty flower, hence the name.



Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate



I've also wanted to include some tropical wisteria for awhile. My parents went to Italy for a romantic rummer getaway and my mother sent so many lovely pictures of wisteria that it inspired me once more to include it in my garden.


close up look at tropical wisteria


a glorious far away shot



No comments: