Monday, June 29, 2009

Its The Little Things...

After a long week of heavy rain, endless boxes and trying to unpack during nap time, which is usually MOMMY time, I really needed a little comfort. So yesterday I broke out the Breville and made a special lunch for J and I. The picture quality on my blog will always be terrible, because I am not a photographer like my mom or my sister...

     Pear Brie Spinach and Turkey Panini  
with 
Bird's Nest Salad


It was heavenly. The sandwich is exactly what it sounds like. I wish I had something other than sandwich bread to put it on, but I didn't have time to start baking bread while we were moving. I resume my usual bread baking on Tuesday. The salad is not exactly what it sounds like. I did not scavenge the neighborhood stealing nests from unsuspecting little birds. The nest is actually made from parmesan cheese. You sprinkle a circle of it on an all ready HOT nonstick pan, lift once the cheese melts and flip over, and place on top of an overturned ramekin so it can take shape and cool off. Then I filled it with yummy greens and our favorite dressing. I felt like myself again after finishing lunch. Creative food goes a long way with me.  I also had time to bake a latticed apple pie, a new recipe I had wanted to try out for awhile. This also gave me great comfort, along with a cup of rose petal tea (my new fav).

The Bear felt antsy all day. Despite his new appreciation for spinach and mozzarella quesadillas which we discovered at dinner, the endless rain drove him crazy. He loves our new backyard and it broke my heart to see him standing at the door with tears on his cheeks asking to go "out! out! out!" Once again I broke out all the rainy day activities and did my best to see as many smiles on my toddler's face as possible. And then, as if to say "thank you," the Bear waddled over just before bed time and gave me my first (unasked for!) kiss. Heaven. He even looped his arms around my neck when he did it.  To top it all off the boys also played together (as much as a 5 month old can) on top of the new "big boy bed." They giggled together and held hands. The Bear pretended to comb his bro's hair and put lotion on his legs. I'm starting to get really excited about rainy days a few years from now when we can play pirates and hunt treasure or indoor world cup (I really place no value on furniture or windows). He also managed to pick up a few new words that day, most likely out of sheer boredom. They are:

Owl
San-gee (sandwich)
Poo poo
Ike (bike)
Che-shee (leche)

A random assortment I know. I promise one of the rainy day activities was most definitely not playing with an owl poop sandwich while riding a bike. 

So that's all it took. Creative food, a cup of tea, a few new words, and my first kiss from my firstborn. I'm right as rain again. 


No comments: