Monday, June 22, 2009

A growing curiosity

This morning, just after breakfast, the Bear found an abandoned paint brush near the kitchen. I don't know when he learned the mechanics of paint brushes but as I finished making my own breakfast I felt a brush stroke tickle my leg. I looked down and saw him holding the brush with a sneaky smile. His hair was still rumpled from sleep and his cheeks were flushed from the excitement of a new discovery.  He started to "paint" my leg. Then he moved to the cabinets, fridge, high chair and his baby brother. I think he decided to absorb the house in this simple way. Taking it in all at once was too overwhelming, but with this small brush he could touch things one at a time. Now that I look back at the past few days, Bear never showed any interest in "new" things in the house. He gravitated to the familiar, especially our dog, Frankie. But today he is ready to discover with his paint brush. 

Our new mailbox is located at the end of our property. Its a lovely wooden box shaped like a little cabin and surrounded by lupine flowers. The Bear accompanied me in fetching the mail for the first time. Everything about this simple process was exciting to him. He moved the red flag up and down several times. He poked at the box with his chubby finger and whooped at it when he realized the door opened and closed. Any object of versatility is of great interest to him. Knobs, pulls, doors, switches, he relishes every facet of invention. The mailbox is no exception. The five minutes of intense elation over the simple task of retrieving mail reminds me once more how thankful I am to be a mother. Not only did I experience the magic of childhood once, I get to experience it again with my sons. I am not content to sit on the sidelines or let someone else look after them.  Discovering the mailbox is now my experience as well, I can pour over it and act silly with a tiny squirming boy in my arms.  I love every moment of growing up again. 

Welcome Home Bread
4 cups flour (wheat or white)
1 cup warm water (previously boiled with a sprig of rosemary)
1/2 cup honey (orange blossom or saw palmetto are the best) 
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp yeast
2 cups of flour in a bowl along with the yeast. Pour warm rosemary water over it and cover with a clean dish cloth. After one hour, add the remaining flour and salt. Begin mixing. Dough should feel silky to the touch. Let rise for two hours. Preheat oven to 350F. 
Add honey and fold into the dough (Don't mix it, just wrap it into the bread). Shape the loaf and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet or baking stone. Bake for 45 minutes or to desired crust. 

No comments: