Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Night Before Kindergarten


I've tried several times today to scrawl out a few words in honor of my two boys starting Kindergarten tomorrow. 

I have failed each time.

Overwhelmed with emotion and terror and joy, I guess. 

Cubs has also raided the supply cabinet and used nearly all the new supplies prematurely. My sister has poisoned him with a love for expensive office supplies and he is tearing through everything. I wanted to have the house shiny and clean for the first day of school tomorrow, but the boys got into the paints and everything is stained now. Really, the house looks like a tornado ripped through it. Oh well. It will STILL be a happy day tomorrow...a messy, happy day.

Anyways, I felt inspired to jot down my own version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas" Casa Iudi style. I hope you enjoy! It sums up our day, the excitement level, the disasters, everything without my having to write an emotionally draining blog about it.



Twas the Night Before Kindergarten

Adapted from: "Twas the Night Before Christmas"
By: This homeschoolin' mama of four boys.



'Twas the night before Kindergarten, when all through the house,

All creatures were stirring, right down to the mouse;

The backpacks were hung by the front door with care,

In hopes that adventure time soon would be there


The children were jumping wildly on their beds

While visions of school supplies danced through their heads,
New jeans stained with ketchup, and the pen with no cap,
The school year not yet begun and I needed a nap!

Suddenly in the hall there arose a great clatter,
I sprang from my macbook to see what was the matter.

A tiny nudist streaked by in a flash,

Followed by small children, covered in trash,

From the lure of white paper like new fallen snow,

To the lustre of unopened paints they could not say no;

Hurry! Quick! They mobilized before I could appear,
Splashes of paint on papers, flooring and one small ear.

The two year old leads, so lively and quick,
I round the corner, forgetting the floor would be slick .

More rapid than eagles the descent of my frame,

Now Dad intercedes, points out the paint, shouts out the dog's name:

"Now Micah, now Sam, now Gabriel, and Frankie,"

"On bathroom!; On carpet! On bedspread and blankie!"

"To the top of the mirror! to the top of the wall!"
"Please wash away! dash away! spray away all!"

As scattered legos before company fly,
A whirlwind of children; rags in hand, they did dry,

Each corner of the house, while Dad sipped his brew,

With faces like angels - the west highland terrier too.
I tried to ignore the sprinkling of paint on the roof
By the pile of crumpled paper the toddler stood aloof.

As I shook my head, and was turning around,

Down the hallway children returned with a bound:

Dressed ready for school, from head to foot,
Twelve hours too early, no sign of growing kaput. 



A bundle of books pulled away from the stack,

Crammed quickly through the opening pack:

Those eyes - how they twinkled! Those dimples so merry,
Fingers coated in green paint, one face covered in cherry;
Excitement and energy, strung taut like a bow,

One more night of waiting could only add to their woe.


The new things ahead: reading, writing, loose teeth!

Dreams of adventure circled their heads like a wreath.

My growing boys: lean leg, diminishing belly
Could not wait for the school year start: for pencils and jelly

Paper and scissor, new notebooks on the shelf.
So I laugh'd when I saw them in spite of myself;

This school in our home, the lessons in my head,

Hand in hand with them, I have nothing to dread.

Boyhood filled with adventure, brings joy to the work,
(And help with the house chores so I won't be a jerk).

And so I gave a sweet kiss to the tip of each nose
And promised chocolate chip pancakes when they rose.

Fully clothed in their beds, clean as a whistle,

Away the dreams flew, like the down of a thistle:

One sleepy voice said, as I crept out of sight-

"Happy First Day to all…… how will I ever sleep this night?"





No comments: