Saturday, August 11, 2012

Home Brew

Cubs and I finished a batch of homemade pita bread yesterday. We watched them puff up in the oven, pulled them out and listened to the beautiful crackle the thinner ones made. We were so giddy!
Later that night I crushed a few of them and set them on a baking pan. Spritzed them with olive oil and sprinkled sea salt and parmesan on them and set them to bake for a while. A little homemade guacamole with those freshly toasted pita chips…Oh man…Friday night, come to Mama!

“I am never buying pita bread at the store EVER again!” was the declaration I tossed over my shoulder at J.

He raised his eyebrows and gave me a half smile.

His usual move whenever I make these sort of statements after having tried something once.

I have been making that statement a lot lately.

I will never buy this at the store ever again.

Truth is…I have had a lot of fun these past few weeks home brewing everything possible. Making your own is a lot of fun. Sure it takes time and effort and blah blah blah, but its just so much darn fun to do it on your own and have that momentary cave man moment of “me make fire. ROAR.”

I’ll toss out my line and J just raises those brows at me and quirks those lips upwards a bit…

Baby #4 is almost here. As in, 6-8 weeks almost here. As in, my stomach has grown to gargantuan proportions and I have to wear a belly harness (no really, I do, its hilarious) and my midwife is amazed at how nearly all my weight is restricted to my belly. Like I swallowed a pilates ball….. but not in the way some lithe extra tall woman carries her big watermelon belly with her long limbs still looking lean and trim. Nope. More like that short squaty farmer’s wife with a dozen kids all ready kinda way. I didn’t just swallow the pilates ball. I AM THE PILATES BALL.

And while I may be preachin’ the home brew giggles right now, I KNOW and he KNOWS that a few months from now, I’ll be stumbling bleary eyed into the bread aisle, searching for a pack of pita bread.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy all this home brew hooplah. It makes me happy. Gets my mind off the harness.

Pilates ball over and out.



No comments: