Monday, July 25, 2011

Lady G

One of my very favorite things about God is the creative unlimited ways in which he cares for us. I have had a rough couple of days, the ugliness of humanity bearing down on me. Sin cracking the window, obstructing the view of what I should be focused on. My vision tunneled onto those deeply mired cracks.

And then God started orchestrating ways to uncap the pressure, a few adjustments to let the steam hiss out. Out of the blue my mother offered to babysit all three boys so that J and I could have an evening out. Then my generous in laws treated us to dinner and a movie. J and I dropped the kiddos off and had such a lovely evening together. We let go of the stress and enjoyed that long forgotten phenomenon of eating a meal the moment it arrives. Ahh the simple things...Thank you Lord for a little R&R.

But God was not finished yet, because on Sunday He shuffled my schedule around so that I could make a new friend.

Now let me start this story by saying that I never grocery shop on Sunday mornings and my new friend only ever shops on Sunday mornings. Divine appointment right off the bat!!

I love the grocery store. Its where they keep the chocolate and the avocados and the English Breakfast tea. Its also a great place to meet someone and brighten their day. Of course, I am referring to my lovely children brightening others days. I always slow the cart down when I catch someone looking their way. More often than not, it is an elderly person. I always slow down for them. I let them talk to Babe or the boys and I soak in their smiles and laughter. We introduce ourselves and we make new friends. But then after a few minutes we part ways and I usually don't see them ever again.

On Sunday, I was strolling through the produce department when I spotted a lady by the tomatoes, her eyes glued on Babe, a wistful smile on her face. I headed her way and we started talking at once.

Lady G, as I like to call her, is from England. She looks to be around seventy but knocked my socks off when I discovered that she is ninety!!

"You look fantastic!" I say.

"Yes, I know. I never drink coffee and I take great care of my skin" she says with a cheeky wink.

She keeps me laughing there in front of the tomatoes for a full twenty minutes. We talk about England and World War II. She shares her love story and I soak in every word she says about the handsome American boy that stole her heart and whisked her off to Pennsylvania in the late 40s.

We finally part ways and I continue with my shopping. Every aisle I put between us I keep feeling that feeling.

You know that little nudge from upstairs when He is asking you to go talk with someone? Well it went from a feeling to an itch to an outright SHOVE.

I don't even know if I have any paper on me, I thought to myself. I fished around in my bag and came up with a lone scrap of paper, which happened to be the sleeve of an English Breakfast tea bag. Ah, confirmation.

I scrawled down my name and number and started searching for Lady G. My heart ached and I prayed that I was not too late. I recognized how badly I wanted to be her friend. How lovely it would be to share stories over a cup of tea. It was one of those moments when you have met someone new and realize that your life has been holding a place for them for quite some time and you just know that their laughter should be echoing around your dinner table every once in awhile.

I found her a few minutes later, parked in front of the frozen food section. She was quite surprised to see me advancing with my name and number. But Lady G smiled graciously and thanked me with a nod the Queen would approve of.

When I left the store I told J all about her and ended the story expressing my hopes that she would phone me.

Today the phone rang and I heard Lady G's voice, telling me how happy she was to have made a new friend. We had a lovely chat and I have decided to keep a record of all the English-isms she uses.

I am so thankful she called. I am looking forward to many cups of tea and stories with Lady G. Unlimited creative ways, reaching into my life. Lady G definitely fits the bill. :)

No comments: