Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Names

When do you call on Him? And what do you call Him when you do?

In times of fear and uncertainty, we often reach out to the ones closest to us. Family, friends, or perhaps things that bring us temporary comfort. Even believers fail to reach out for His righteous right hand, even though it is ever extended in our direction.

I worshipped an idol for most of my life. The idol in my heart was, in fact, God. Not Yaweh, not the "I AM," but the God I had decided that He should be. I didn't bother reading the Bible too often. I used the stories I had heard all my life to fabricate the God I thought He was, rather than look to His word to KNOW Him for Himself. Last year, God tore that false idol down. My life fell apart at the seams. I began to frantically reach out for things and people to save me. I needed something to comfort me. Something to distract from the overwhelming pain and fear. I kept trying to fill the space with thoughts and ideas about God that I wanted to hear. So He ripped everything apart again, until there was nothing but silence. Then He showed Himself. He began demonstrating every day, who He is. The more I opened His word, the more I of Him I saw. Faith is not blind. Faith sees.

Today, I can cry out to my God in a whole new way. He has many names in my heart and every day I am learning more. God has taught me not to limit Him. Not to draw lines about where He can and can not go.

When I first became a mother I wanted to introduce my child to Jesus, slowly. I assumed my son could not understand much at a young age. I drew a line and told God how far He could go. I was wrong.

My sons have not built up a false image of God...as of yet. For the most part, they are clean slates, just beginning to understand the world. The greatest thing I can ever do for my children is introduce them to the one true God of this universe. In a world filled with passive relativism, where sin is no longer sin but "disorder" or even worse, "natural," I long for my sons to stand in the way of truth. They only way I can help fill them is to keep filling myself with the word. God erased the line I had carefully drawn and in His mercy, stepped over it. Last week I heard my eldest son pray over my youngest child. Three weeks ago, my infant son responded to worship songs he had heard from inside my womb in a way unlike his response to other nursery rhymes or songs. Last month my second son learned how to worship God by placing his hands up and shouting "GLORY" at the skies above. They are learning about him and they are learning to love Him freely.

I found this today and am so interested to learn more about the names of God. Its tough to discipline myself to seek Him first at all times, especially when I have relied on so many other places for help most of my life. Knowing these names will help me remember to call on Him. If you are interested in learning the names of God in Hebrew, this website spells them out, pronounces them and defines them. He knows me so intimately, I want to know Him that way too.


click here for the site.

1 comment:

mora68 said...

Thanks for sharing something so personal with the rest of us...love you!