Sunday, September 20, 2009

Busy Bees

The week shot passed us way too quickly. On Monday, the Bear went to his new gymboree class. Cautious as ever, he made sure to watch every activity at least three or four times before trying it himself. He scaled a wall, jumped on an air log, played on the gym mats, and learned the difference between "high" and "low." Homeschooling continued on as usual, and every small bit of progress felt like a huge victory.

On Wednesday I went to my first Bible Study Fellowship meeting. When I arrived at the church, the parking lot was inundated with cars. I wondered if the Mayor of Miami died and I had somehow missed the memo about his funeral services. But no, there was no funeral in the sanctuary that day, just four hundred plus women waiting for their BSF year to kick off. Yikes.
Funny how I walked in with 3 major assumptions that were all shot down within 1/2 an hour.

#1 The only people in attendance will be middle-aged white women in cardigans.
#2 The whole meeting will be a mass of emotional women, crying over every little word.
#3 It won't be anything I haven't already heard.

Well I walked in and much to my surprise, sat in a row with not one single "middle-aged white woman in a cardigan." There was one white woman in my row but she was decked out in a caftan and tribal jewelry (with a hint of patchouli wafting from her person).
When the lecture began, I was the one that started getting teary-eyed, much to my own horror! Everyone else seemed cool as a cucumber, including my 7th grade English teacher, who spotted me and ran over to sit with me. She is a southern belle and still quite the pistol, even at 80+ years of age. She felt quite free to scold me for not bringing any paper to the lecture and had no qualms about reaching over to scribble things I neglected to include in my notes. (Love her!)
Finally, I was quite delighted to realize my error in assuming that this study would fail to reveal anything new. Turns out, there is a lot about the book of John I don't know. Imagine that...

Suffice to say, we had a busy week, especially when you throw in three house visits, a girl's night out, and a card party. I made three quiches, home made biscotti and scones for the Saturday morning party. By the time Sunday morning I arrived, we were all pooped!

I desperately needed a bit of R&R. Please read next post for chosen method of R&R

No comments: