Tuesday, July 7, 2009

At Last

This evening I went into the Bear's room a few hours after he had gone to bed. He was standing in the crib calling for me with his usual chant of "Maaa---ma! Maaa-ma!" (each syllable accompanied by knee bends). I scooped him up and headed for the rocker. Six months ago he decided that cuddling was no longer for him. But as of the last few weeks, cuddling is back on the menu, which is fine by me! I sat him on my lap, facing me and he proceeded to grab my nose, touch my mouth, poke my eyes, pull my ears and tug at my hair, all the while cooing and smiling. He kissed me a few times and put his head on my shoulders while his hands patted my arms. Finally he looked up and did something new. "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo." 
I looked at him and he smiled. "When did you learn to sing?" I asked. "Ooooooooooooooo" was the response.  So we sang together. His favorite songs all hail from classic films. I've been singing them to him from the moment I knew of his existence. He really loves "Moonlight Bay," "O What a Beautiful Morning" and "Moon River." But the all time favorite good night song is Etta James' "At Last." I sang it for him this evening as he held on to me with his head on my shoulder. Only this time he sang along with his newfound trick, his little fingers tickling my arm as he "ooooo"d his way through. Each time we finished a song we would both clap and smile at each other.  I wouldn't trade that one moment for a million dollars. 

Earlier today we decided to show the Bear his cabinet, which he had yet to discover. When unpacking our boxes we deliberately opted for an organized row of baby-proof drawers under the island in order to leave one cabinet open and completely filled with safe items that the Bear could take out and play with. When he realized that there was an unmanned drawer brimming with tupperware, lids, and nalgene bottles he let out such a squeal of delight! He took out the bottles and pretended to drink. He pretended to feed the baby with a plastic spoon and a tupperware bowl. Then of course it was time to put everything away which he did quite methodically. When it was tidied up, he toddled over to me with big smile and a hug, as if to say, "Thanks for working on your controlling neat-freak habits Mom, I had a great time!"
(You're welcome Bear, it wasn't easy!)

After a swim in the pool with Daddy, we stripped him down to a diaper and plopped him down for the evening meal. If its one area where I don't obsess about cleaning its dinnertime. I want him to enjoy his food. Not just the taste but the feel. He can discover so much by having free reign of his eating habits. We can work on manners once he is old enough to remember them. Right now I love watching my clean little boy sit down to dinner and end a half hour later with a beard of beans, rice in his hair and avocado all over his fingers. What a sticky mess! Bath time is twice the fun after dinnertime. 


New Word Potentials:
"Ah-do"= avocado?
"woosh"= toilet
"Poom"= spoon
"RRRAAAGGGRRRIIIUOOOOOPPFMMMM"= The baby has my toy and I want it back NOW.

Speaking of the baby (Still haven't picked his blog code word, any suggestions?) He comes with his own set of stories and we are bonkers over him. Really. This baby is made of cloud fluff and angel whispers. I never thought I could be so mushy about a baby, I never wanted to be THAT mom. But the thing is... he is the sweetest baby I have ever seen. Right now he is tucked between J and I, looking around our room while he grabs his toes and talks to them. This morning I woke up and looked over my shoulder to find him already awake and waiting for me with a big smile on his face.  He looks so much like J at times that it takes my breath away.  I love watching all three playing and interacting, which is happening more and more these days. This causes me to daydream with great anticipation to the rapidly approaching boyhood phase of our home.  

Everything about a little boy is dirt and discovery, robbing such a boy of his childhood is criminal. Childhood is a Basilica dome of wonder. You have to crane your neck back to examine the beauty around you, the depth of it is immeasurable from where you stand. When I was a little girl I desperately wished, in classic Jo March fashion, that I could be a little boy. Boyhood seemed like one great dirty pirate adventure and I was stuck on the shores of Doll land. I definitely did things my own way ( Bug boxes, mud, and pranks galore) but I always wanted to get away with things that only boys could get away with. Now I see the wheels turning in his head, and I am so excited for that first bug hunt. The lizards, snakes, toads, earthworms, spiders and all other forms of creepy crawlers waiting to be discovered and examined under a glass. The mud and grass stains all of his clothes are begging for. Science projects and tree houses; sand castles and slingshots. I am aglow with excitement and wonder for him. 


No comments: