Saturday, July 31, 2010

Growin' like a weed

Our son is talking. He is having lengthy conversations with us. He is expressing his feelings and commenting on our feelings.

I knew it would happen. I just didn't know when. One day I was growing a baby inside me and then next thing I know (after a few unbearably painful days) I have a baby in my house that I am in charge of. I keep it alive. Its my job. I stumble to its nursery at 3AM to feed it actual milk from my body. Then I clean it when gross stuff comes out of either end. Then I watch it grow and change until suddenly one day....its not a baby anymore.

Pretty basic life stuff but until you experience it, there really is no way to fully grasp or appreciate it. My son casually mentioned today that "combines are the best farm trucks." When the word "combine" first popped up in his vocabulary a few weeks ago, this city girl had to GOOGLE what the heck a combine was. As far as I knew, combine was some sort of football he-man sports spectacular, college aged men participate in to try and entice coaches to draft them. After the Google search I found out that combines are indeed some sort of farm machinery. Where did my kid learn that word? Better yet, where the heck was I when he learned that word? Regardless...today "combines are the best farm trucks." As in: "Mommy, I can put on my own shoes, use the potty, ask for a napkin when I eat my dinner, identify every known animal on the planet and distinguish types of machinery you've never even heard of."

Ouch.

Really. It hurts more than a little.

I am very very proud of my little squirt. But man, that really hurt.

The good news is that we are currently experiencing on onslaught of adorable new behaviors. Do I miss the baby inner-thigh fatty love chunkiness? God help me, I always will. But I love hearing him say, "Mama I need a hug. I love you so much!"

I spent an hour in the sweltering sun today, working on my poor neglected garden. Faithful hubby working his cute butt off by my side. The summer rain and sun aided our lovely garden in becoming its own worst enemy, a giant amazonian monster of overgrown brush, weeds and flowers. A puffy, sweaty, pregnant mess, I stood up and looked across the yard halfway through the job and thought, how did this happen? These weeds grew so fast that all this growth came out of nowhere.

Its the same thing with my whippersnappers. I just keep feeding them and watering them and the moment I settle into a routine they shoot up behind my back and start talking about the advanced mechanics of farm machinery.



1 comment:

Meagan Shuptar said...

i know EXACTLY what you mean