Monday, March 15, 2010

Hat

Its been a rough month. Today I woke up, covered in hives and anticipating a follow up appointment with my primary Doctor to discuss my fast heart rate and ensuing anxiety issues from my four fun-filled hospital stays. I dropped the Bear off at my grandmother's house and took Cubby for a summer essentials trip to Target. I managed to find float toys for the pool, buckets and shovels for the beach, SPF 9000 for Cubby's white skin, shorts for the boys, and some moisturizing cream for my poor allergy abused face. Cubby pigged out on Elmo cookies while we shopped and would not stop campaigning for President as he waved and smiled at every shopper in the store.

On our way back to the car the sun started beating against my head. My poor scalp is still red and raw from everything I went through and it actually started hurting from the sun exposure. Deciding then and there that I would really rather not douse my head in sunscreen every time I leave the house for the next week, and because these last few weeks really have been the worst...EVER... I opted for retail therapy.

Cubby and I drove to my favorite store on this green earth, Anthropologie, for a nice stroll in a place void of cheerios and sippy cups so that Mommy could talk to the fancy sweaters. I tried on a few things just for fun and as I made my way to the exit I spotted it, the hat I had secretly adored for months and salivated paused over each time the Anthropologie catalogue came to the house. A cute Josephine Baker style straw cloche. As if some sweet Parisian designer had been working away all day and thought, "Aha! I shall make zee sweet hat to bring a smile to zee poor freckle faced Cuban who eez so very seek," and then made it, just for me.

I like the hat. A lot. So I ran back to the bejeweled and stylishly bobbed sales associate and bought the cloche. I have been wearing it ever since. The sun can no longer smote my head with the fury of an Egyptian plague and I have a zippy 1930s cloud around me.

And yes, my hives feel s l i g h t l y less itchy now.

1 comment:

Déjà Blue said...

LOVE it. Praying for you. eph 3.20