Saturday, October 17, 2009

3

Beyond the magic of a band-aid, or the healing of my mothering kiss.

You have slipped down and down and through my fingers.

I wrote down your secret name, folded it into tiny squares, and held it in hands that will never touch or soothe you.

Small and broken branch, I will mend you in my heart.

Piece together your body and remember all that could have been shared between us.

I love you deeply.

I love the laughter I never heard and the nose I never kissed.

I love the small hand I never held and the name I never called.

Some may see two, but I will always see three, for you are just as much a part of me.


2 comments:

ChristaB said...

=-(

Anonymous said...

Oh Elsie! I am so very sorry for your loss. I grieve with you. Did you give him or her a name? How far along were you? Oh I am so sorry. I know my mom was there to welcome and love your baby. I love you sooo much. ~Kelly F.